Materialisation: Mapping the Making
08/06/2014 - 30/08/2014
"Five selected textile artists are invited to choose a collaborator or mentor with whom to produce a work provoked by huge the immense hanging textile work Valkyrie Enxoval by Joana Vasconcelos, which will be in the Main Gallery at VISUAL Centre (Carlow) in June 2014. The exhibition – Materialisation: Mapping the Making – will chart the collaborations and will include notebooks, photographs, video and statements that illustrate the process and the narrative of each collaboration".
The Projects – Artists and their Chosen Collaborators
1. WARPED DESTRUCTION with Trish Belford, Senior Research Fellow, University of Ulster and Co-Director Tactility Factory, Belfast, collaborating with: Dr Barbara Dass, Professor of Design, University of Ulster, Belfast
2. NEST with Joe Hogan, Internationally renowned basketmaker based in Co Mayo, collaborating with: Suzie Sullivan, Fibre artist
3. La Pachamama Santa Maria with Inga Hamilton. Inga has drawn together a team of world-class craftspeople to guide her in the technical aspects of the individual ceramic and elements of her overall vision. Installation Textile and Ceramic Artist, Bangor Co Down.
4. The Tullow Tailors and the Coat of Feathers with Helen Robbins, Carlow based artist. Co-director of ‘Art Alongside’ artists in schools project from 2000-2012 in partnership with IMMA National Programme, collaborating with Tom and Michael Johnston of Tullow and Julie Gill-Frisby, nationally renowned gentleman’s tailors
5. HEIRLOOM with Tara Ní Nualláin, artist and lecturer, founding member of Filament Fibre Artists
Dublin, collaborating with: Colin Power, perspex and laser engrave.
A series of talks by artists and their collaborators will be programmed across the Summer period, including a number of workshops and practical lectures as part of an accompanying programme.
The Carlow Arts Festival’s plans for Dublin Street also include a number of initiatives taking textiles and fabric-work as their starting point, including ongoing workshops for families in street decoration, knitting, weaving, banner-making etc.
Sat 7th June 11-3pm
CREATURE with Inga Hamilton
Sun 8th June 2-3.30pm
MAP THE MAKING with Trish Belford and Barbara Dass
Sat 14th June 1-5pm
VALKYRIE STUDIO Art Facilitator Saidhbhin Gibson
Price: €5 suggested donation
Sat 14th June 11-4pm
CATALAN PLATTER-MAKING BASKET CLASS with Joe Hogan
Price: €45 – advance booking only (max 8 places)
Sun 15th June 2-3.30pm
LACING PAST AND PRESENT with Tara Ni Nuallain – Stitched Perspex
Price: €10 – advance booking only (max 15 places)
Sun 15th June 2-5pm
CURIOUS CREATURES with Art Facilitator Orla Bates
Price: €5 – advance booking only
Fore more information visit: http://carlowartsfestival.com/events/textile-collaboration/