‘DAMN FINE CITY’ | Screenprint Spectacular at Filmbase
9 – 17 July
6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Opening: 9 July at 6pm Filmbase, Curved Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
Damn Fine Print and the Laya Healthcare City Spectacular (formerly World Street Performance Championship) have teamed up to present DAMN FINE CITY, a screenprint spectacular featuring artworks designed by six of Ireland’s leading illustrators.
Come and join us for a sun-downer on opening night, Wed 9th of July from 6-10pm at Film Base Templebar to celebrate Dublin in Screenprint. There’ll be delicious summer poitin cocktails from the kind folk at the Glendalough Distillery, DJ’s, screen print demo’s from our mobile print crew and live framing by the wonderful Hang Tough. We’ve asked some of the most exciting creative talent in Ireland (and indeed the world) to climb inside their imaginations, and conjure up captivating artworks inspired by our spectacular city and what that means to them. Over the last few weeks, we’ve been busy in the studio screenprinting their artwork. This time we are going large format, 500mm X 700mm using 3 colours and overlaying transparent colours to create even more effects. THE LINE UP:
- Annie Atkins, fresh from being lead graphic designer on Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel has picked a landmark that all Dubliners will recognise.
- Chris Judge, illustrator of remarkable Children’s books such as the Lonely Beast has made the Dublin Architecture come alive.
- M&E have made a beautiful artwork using similar unique techniques to their much lauded OFFSET credits.
- Steve Simpson has picked two of Irelands great artists and added his signature style to a wonderfully intricate piece.
- Kevin Waldron, living in New York, came home to soak in Dublin before making a wonderfully colourful Dublin scene.
- Peter Donnelly has paid homage to a Dublin legend who himself captured so many memories for Irish people.